Sunday, August 23, 2020

Painting Peonies in Watercolour loose style


Peonies painting is sometimes intimidating, but I find it is an extremely helpful thing to approach the painting process exactly like I do everything else - loose style and not forgetting to have fun with it.

That's to me the most important thing. Once you forget that and start focusing on tiny details and worrying how un-realistic it will look because you didn't trace the photo, the whole things changes and becomes stressful. Nope, no thank you. That's not the way I do it.

Peonies just like all other flower became flowing and alive the second I forget about correct shapes and how many petals the blossom has and go with the flow. My painting flow is - to let the watercolor paint  and the brush do the work for me. I like using a medium, sometimes even a large brush and lots of water. Plus, not forgetting, of course, having a nice and juicy paint full of vibrant pigment: turquoise, quinacridone magenta, grass green, chromium green oxide, and hansa yellow. 

It does help to let the white show through the paint. However, since I do like to cover up my layers of paint, in this case just leaving a little white "halo" outline around the leaves and blossoms will do the trick - the light shines right through. Now who said that leaving all that white in the layers is a must?




www.ElenaArtPages.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring ans summer watercolor painting adventures

Spring and summer are the perfect seasons to rediscover the joy of watercolor painting. As the world begins to bloom with vibrant greens, gl...