Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Hedgehog - a warm watercolor painting

Every time I use my beloved brown and blues, ochres and warm pinks I think of something cozy and sweet - a forest sweller with little prickly needles - a cute hedgehog. Painting whimsical animals is one of my favorite things to do. I used my own handmade watercolor paints and also Derwent colored pencils for some detail work. They go over watercolors really well. Sometimes, I like to add some color charcoal pencils as well.

Praline handmade watercolor is a wonderful paint that lets me layer either a sheer some brownish-pink pearlescent tone over my illustration or with lots more pigment - bring out the warm tones in the ground.


Colors also used in this painting are: Amazing Warmth, Black Hematite, Enchanted Bear, Star DeerBrown Dune, Scarab Blue, Cobalt Blue and of course, Raw Sienna and Emperor's Gold.


Also, check out this new palette I just recently added - it has a beautiful selection of earthy and mineral granulating and regular handmade watercolor paints - NATURALE PLUS (set of 12).


XOXO, Elena

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring ans summer watercolor painting adventures

Spring and summer are the perfect seasons to rediscover the joy of watercolor painting. As the world begins to bloom with vibrant greens, gl...