Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Hedgehog - a warm watercolor painting

Every time I use my beloved brown and blues, ochres and warm pinks I think of something cozy and sweet - a forest sweller with little prickly needles - a cute hedgehog. Painting whimsical animals is one of my favorite things to do. I used my own handmade watercolor paints and also Derwent colored pencils for some detail work. They go over watercolors really well. Sometimes, I like to add some color charcoal pencils as well.

Praline handmade watercolor is a wonderful paint that lets me layer either a sheer some brownish-pink pearlescent tone over my illustration or with lots more pigment - bring out the warm tones in the ground.


Colors also used in this painting are: Amazing Warmth, Black Hematite, Enchanted Bear, Star DeerBrown Dune, Scarab Blue, Cobalt Blue and of course, Raw Sienna and Emperor's Gold.


Also, check out this new palette I just recently added - it has a beautiful selection of earthy and mineral granulating and regular handmade watercolor paints - NATURALE PLUS (set of 12).


XOXO, Elena

No comments:

Post a Comment

GARDEN ANGEL Watercolor self paced Tutorial PDF

 Available now Step into a gentle, whimsical garden and create your own Garden Angel using watercolor and colored pencils. You will receive...