Friday, January 26, 2024

WHY USE HANDMADE WATERCOLORS and how they compare to commercial

I love watercolor, no matter what, however, I definitely am biased to the HANDMADE KIND when it comes to richness of color, saturation, ease of activation, and many, many other reasons?

Here's why:

Quality of Ingredients:

Handmade watercolors use high-quality pigments with some or no fillers (ElenaArtPages watercolours have no fillers). Artists may appreciate the use of specific pigments or the absence of certain additives that can be found in mass-produced watercolors.

Control over Pigment Ratio:

Since I make my own watercolor paint, I have control over the pigment-to-binder ratio or single pigment color as well as desired mixes. This allows for customization of color intensity, transparency, and other characteristics according to the quality standards of my (Elena Art Pages) production process.




Customization and Uniqueness:

Handmade watercolors provide artists with the ability to create unique colors that may not be available in commercial sets. This customization allows for greater creativity and a more personal touch in artistic works. Some of the colors that I mixed for years, I have enjoyed immensely and find reaching for more and more.

Texture and Granulation:

Some artists appreciate the granulation and texture that can be achieved with handmade watercolors. The process of making watercolors by hand may result in unique textures and effects that are not commonly found in mass-produced paints. GRANULATION is one of the most unique qualities of watercolor and the results can be stunning in a simple texture rendering. 

I have to confess that I have very successfully combined both in my painting process.

Supporting Artisans:

Artisans who purchase handmade watercolor paints know how rich colors and textures create spectacular paintings on watercolour paper. Artists who prefer to support small businesses or individual craftsmen who put effort into creating bespoke, artisanal watercolors paints understand how much richer and vibrant colors are and how they reflect in their personal art works.




Environmental Considerations:

Artists concerned about environmental impact may appreciate the handmade approach, as it may involve fewer industrial processes and packaging materials compared to mass production. Handcrafted watercolor paints are better for the environment with less waste and packaging materials. Handmade artist quality watercolor paints equals go green (no pun intended!).

Connection to the Art-Making Process:

Artisanal watercolors made by hand is a more involved and intimate process for watercolor paint making with the end product in my opinion that much better in spectacular colors and paint textures. Some artists enjoy the connection to the handcrafted paints to create their watercolor masterpieces in their journey artistic expression in watercolor paintings.




Handmade handcrafted artist quality watercolors have many distinct advantages in terms of color, richness and textures, we at Elena Art Pages know that densely packed pigments in our watercolors truly make your paintings all the better!

Embrace the artistic mess!

Hugs Elena!



Visit my website for handmade watercolors and unique palettes.
www.ElenaArtPages.com





No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring ans summer watercolor painting adventures

Spring and summer are the perfect seasons to rediscover the joy of watercolor painting. As the world begins to bloom with vibrant greens, gl...